2-day Intensive Live Online Course taught by Bruce Eimer, Ph.D., ABPP on August 5-6, 2022
This exciting didactic and experiential course covers the applications of clinical hypnosis to controlling and relieving acute and persistent pain in medical, dental, and mental health settings. Clinical and ethical indications and contra-indications for using hypnosis for pain control are covered. Two full days of instruction!
See the course outline below.
Hypnosis for pain control is not a newly invented therapy or clinical application, but in fact has been employed with great success for more than two centuries. The use of hypnosis as a non-drug tool for relieving pain is not experimental—it is in fact tried, true, and proven. It is evidence based and empirically validated. Unfortunately, few health professionals who treat patients with chronic pain have received sufficient training in Pain Control Hypnosis.
I am a Board Certified Licensed Clinical Psychologist. I have been in practice since 1986. After over 30 years of using clinical hypnosis to help patients get pain relief, and several years of preparation, I have put together this 2-day Level 1 Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner Training.
Who this course is for
This course is for experienced mental health clinicians (psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, nurse practitioners, pastoral counselors), health care professionals (physicians, dentists, physical therapists, chiropractors, acupuncture practitioners, nurses), and professional hypnotherapists, who may or may not be familiar with the applications of the hypnosis tool in the treatment of people with chronic pain.
Why you need to take this course
Whether you have experience with clinical hypnosis, or you are looking to add it to your practice, this basic two-day course will provide you with a thorough introduction to using it for pain control. In this live online training, you will learn evidence-based strategies and hypnosis treatment methods that you can use to help patients with both acute and persistent physical pain.
You will complete this fundamental course with the education you need to expand your practice with an important new specialty niche in Pain Control Hypnosis.
If you are a qualified clinical practitioner, completion of this basic course will entitle you to market yourself as a Certified Level 1 Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner.
DAY 1 (9:00am to 5:30pm)
- Defining pain
- Types of pain
• Acute onset – mysterious, gradual onset, sudden onset
• Emergencies (e.g., burns, fractures, sprains, kitchen accidents)
• Pre and post-surgical
• Recurrent acute (e.g., migraines)
• Acute vs chronic pain
• Chronic – types
- Pain Psychology and Pain vs Suffering
- Neurophysiology of pain mechanisms
- Hypnosis as an empirically validated treatment for pain control
- Hypnosis for N.O. M.O.R.E. P.A.I.N.
- Defining Pain Control Hypnosis. A unique approach
- Hypnosis and CBT
- Hypnotic strategies menu – “Eight D’s” of Pain Control Hypnosis
- Ethical and risk management concerns when using hypnosis for pain control
- Communicating with referral sources
- The BASIC ID – a guide for assessment and treatment
• Behavior excesses and deficits
• Affective excesses and deficits
• Sensory excesses and deficits
• Imagery excesses and deficits
• Cognitive excesses and deficits
• Interpersonal excesses and deficits
• Drugs – recreational drugs, prescription abuse, diet, exercise
- Hypnotic trance inductions for pain control
- A Pain Control Hypnosis session (IEP IS Trance and Teaching)
• I- ntake and assessment
• E- ducate the patient about pain using waking state reframing
• P- re-talk for Pain Control Hypnosis
• I- nduce trance
• S- trategy utilization
• T- rance state and post-hypnotic suggestions for pain control
• T- each Self Hypnosis for Pain Control
- Day 1 Wrap-Up
DAY 2 (9:00am to 5:30pm)
- Using ideomotor signals to confirm acceptance of suggestions
- Taming chronic pain reframe and confirm acceptance of reframe
- Teach mindfulness with hypnosis and confirm learning
- Explain the AWARE Reframe and confirm acceptance of reframe
- Clinical Applications of Pain Control Hypnosis
• Preparation for painful medical procedures
• Surgery preparation with hypno-analgesia
• Acute onset pain – mysterious, sudden onset, gradual onset, injury
• Emergencies (e.g., burns, fractures, sprains, kitchen accidents)
• Dental anxiety and pain
• Recurrent acute pain – e.g., migraines
• Chronic pain
- Choice of hypnotic inductions in different contexts
- Formulating hypnosis strategy and suggestions in different contexts
- Trauma, chronic pain and hypnosis
- Chronic pain, depression and hypnosis
- Hypnoanalysis for exploring emotional factors underlying persistent pain
- Hypnotic Strategies for Different Chronic Pain situations
• Awakening with pain in the morning
• Pain waking patient up at night
• Unable to fall asleep
• Pain Flareups
• Preparing for pain triggers
• Coping with anxiety
• Triggered trauma memories
• Flashbacks and intrusive thoughts
• Anger and resentment
• Avoidance, inactivity and reconditioning de-conditioning
• Dealing with doctors
• Handling people’s hurtful comments
• Changing pain behaviors to well behaviors
- Hypno-Behavioral Therapy & Brief Cognitive Hypnosis for N.O. M.O.R.E. P.A.I.N.
• Pacing and divorcing activity from pain
• Building motivation for improvement
• Promoting healthy behaviors
• Hypnosis for utilizing behavioral reinforcement
- Internal Family Systems Therapy for pain: A promising approach
- Marketing yourself as a Certified Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner
- Day 2 Wrap-Up
Whom will this course prepare you to help?
Now you can learn how to do Pain Control Hypnosis effectively and open a valuable new niche for your practice. As a Certified Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner, will be able to help patients whom other practitioners have failed to help. This includes:
- Patients with acute pain
- Patients with unrelieved chronic pain
- Patients preparing for surgery
- Dental patients hypersensitive to pain
- Dental patients who are intolerant to local anesthesia
- Patients who must reduce pain medication
Be part of the solution to under-treated pain
The mainstream medical and dental professions offer limited treatment choices to people who suffer with chronic pain – there is medication, physical therapy, injections, and as a last resort, surgery. Patients who don’t get better are referred for psychological or psychiatric help – often to clinicians who know little about chronic pain. To make matters worse, many providers who advertise that they do hypnosis for pain relief have inadequate training and limited effectiveness.
But there is a better way! You can be part of the solution to this problem, attract more patients into your practice, help patients whom the medical and dental establishments have failed, establish a niche for yourself, and offer a safe alternative to dangerous drugs.
When you learn Pain Control Hypnosis, you will acquire evidence-based strategies to improve your patients’ ability to understand and control their pain and emotions, and do the things they want and need to do.
What you will get when you sign up
You’ll receive three valuable e-books as part of this course…
• My recent book, Taming Chronic Pain: A mindful approach for bringing pain relief (B.N. Eimer & C.R. Hunter, 2020)
• My popular book, Hypnotize Yourself Out Of Pain Now! A Powerful User-friendly Program for Anyone Searching for Immediate Pain Relief (B.N. Eimer, First Ed, 2002)
• You will receive a detailed course manual.
Successful completion of this course will allow you to market yourself as a Certified Level 1 Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner.
And there is more…
You will also receive…
- Numerous PDF files explaining valuable techniques and strategies for effectively using Pain Control Hypnosis.
- Step-by-step instruction for using these techniques and strategies with your patients.
- Access to my private Facebook page Pain Control Hypnosis.
- Documentation of Attendance and a Certificate of Course Completion.
- If you cannot attend this online course live, everyone who signs up for this course will also receive exclusive access to a video recording of the course in a private library.
- You will get on demand access to the course.
Course tuition is only $595 for two full days.
Class times each day are from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. There is a lunch break from 12:30pm to 1:30pm.
Dr. Bruce Eimer is a board-certified licensed psychologist in Florida who has treated thousands of patients with chronic pain and anxiety and mood disorders. He was the Director of Pain Psychology at a hospital pain clinic and served on staff at multiple hospitals. Dr. Bruce has been in practice since 1986. He has given hundreds of talks and workshops and has authored or co-authored nine books and over 100 articles and book chapters. Dr. Bruce is a Diplomate with the American Board of Professional Psychology in Behavioral & Cognitive Psychology, a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, and a Fellow of the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association.
SOME OF DR. EIMER’S BOOKS
Eimer, B.N. (2008). Hypnotize Yourself Out of Pain Now! (Second Ed.). Bethel, CT: Crown House.
Eimer, B.N. & Freeman, A. (1998). Pain Management Psychotherapy: A Practical Guide. New York: John Wiley.
Eimer, B.N. & Hunter, C. R. (2020). Taming Chronic Pain: A mindful approach for bringing pain relief. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
Ewin, D.M., & Eimer, B.N. (2006). Ideomotor Signals for Rapid Hypnoanalysis: A How-To Manual. Springfield, IL: Charles Thomas.
If you cannot attend this online course live, everyone who signs up for this course will also receive access to a video recording of the course in a private library.
Be More Successful in 2022…
Hypnosis for pain control is emerging as one of the fastest growing applications of clinical hypnosis. Are you taking full advantage of this emerging specialty?
Gain the knowledge to become a world-class Certified Pain Control Hypnosis Practitioner.
See you there!
Bruce N. Eimer, Ph.D., ABPP, CHt
Dr. Bruce Eimer is an approved provider of continuing education by the American Psychological Association. Psychologists who complete this two day course will be awarded 14 continuing education credit hours which is recognized by the APA and most state psychology licensing boards. Dr. Bruce Eimer takes responsibility for the content of this course.
Hello Friends and Colleagues, It is come to my attention that a few people were unable to get Paypal to process their credit card when they were trying to sign up for my Pain Control Hypnosis course. I’m sending out this email to give you a Plan B when you sign up if you encounter this problem. If you experience that PayPal, which takes credit cards, is spinning and not processing to completion, please call me at 561-377-1039 so that I can securely take your credit card information and register you. Thank you. I hope you can join us on August 5-6, 2022. Best, Dr. Bruce